Small dogs and cats welcome
You can take your small dog or cat along with you on Amtrak Cascades trains. Now that Rover can come over, we hope to see you and your pet onboard. Please refer to the guidelines below. Other restrictions may apply. Please note these guidelines do not pertain to service animals.
Types of Pets Allowed
Cats and dogs are the only types of pets accepted. Only one pet and one carrier per passenger will be allowed. Maximum combined weight of pet and carrier = 20 lbs.
Maximum Trip Length
- Maximum length of travel on the train will be seven hours.
- Passengers making connections must complete travel within seven hours from leaving their train station.
Making Pet Reservations, Fare and Ticketing
- Pet reservations can only be made with a reservation agent at 1-800-USA-RAIL or at a staffed station.
- Pet reservations are made on a first-come, first-served basis, and may sell out quickly, so we strongly encourage you to make your pet reservations in advance. Pets are only permitted in Coach cars.
- Only one pet per passenger will be allowed, and no more than five pets are reserved per train. Service animals do not count towards this limitation.
- The pet fare is $25 per reservation ($50 round trip).
- No pets allowed into Canada.
- Pets are not permitted to travel with unaccompanied minors.
Buses and Multi-ride tickets
- Pets are not permitted on Thruway or POINT bus services.
- Multi-ride, monthly, and Rail Plus tickets cannot be used in conjunction with pet reservations.
- All passengers traveling with a pet must reserve a coach seat and pay the applicable fare.
Pet Check in at Station
- At staffed stations, passengers must check in at the station ticket office no later than 30 minutes before train departure time in order to allow sufficient time to confirm pet eligibility and complete a Release and Indemnification Agreement.
- At unstaffed stations, the conductor will confirm pet eligibility and provide passengers with a Release and Indemnification Agreement to sign on the train.
- A waiver must be completed for each leg of travel.
- Pets are only permitted in Coach car #4.
- Passengers must remain with pets at all times.
- Pets must remain inside their carrier at all times and may not be removed from their carrier while in stations or onboard trains.
- Passengers must keep their pet carrier on the floor in front of the seat next to them.
- Pet carriers are not permitted on train seats.
As noted, pets must remain in their carrier and on the floor. Pets cannot be on seats; and being in front of the aisle seat rather than the window seat keeps them safely away from the heater which could become too hot for their comfort and safety.
Approved Pet Carriers
Passengers traveling with pets can board at staffed or unstaffed stations as follows:
- Pet owners must provide their own pet carrier.
- The maximum size for pet carriers is 19" long x 14" wide x 10.5" high.
- The carrier may be hard or soft sided but must be leak proof and well ventilated.
- For safety reasons, pets must be able to sit and lie down comfortably without touching the sides of the carrier.
- A carrier counts as one piece of carry-on baggage.
Pet Age and Health
- Pet must be at least eight weeks old.
- There isn't time for potty breaks at stops, so please ensure your pet gets a potty break before departure.
- Pets must be odorless and harmless, not disruptive, and require no attention during travel. Amtrak maintains the right to refuse acceptance of, or remove from the train, any pet exhibiting these issues.
- Passengers will be required to certify that the pet is up to date on all vaccinations and accepts liability for animal.
- The maximum weight of your pet including the carrier is 20 pounds.
- Amtrak will not accept liability for the health and well-being of pets.
- Note: In the event of a service disruption, Amtrak will make reasonable efforts to seek (but cannot guarantee) pet friendly hotel accommodations, if sheltering is necessary.