You are here
BOOK A TICKET
It's easy to purchase your Amtrak Cascades ticket. Here's how:
Call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245) to speak with an Amtrak ticket agent.
AT THE STATION
Reservations for Amtrak Cascades travel can be made up to eleven months in advance of the travel date. Remember to mention special needs, including wheelchair access, Business Class upgrade, food restrictions, or checked baggage or bicycle. Upgrade to Business Class during peak travel times. Trains are often full on Friday and Sunday evenings and during the summer and holidays.
RECEIVE YOUR TICKET
If you have not received a confirmation e-mail within 24-hours of making a reservation online, call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245) and speak to a Reservation Sales Agent. The agent can find out whether the reservation was successfully booked. If the reservation was completed, they can e-mail a copy of the confirmation to you.
AT A QUIK-TRAK TICKET MACHINE
Tickets purchased on-line can be picked up at a Quik-Trak Ticket Machine located at most stations. Record the confirmation number when you book on-line (this number is displayed on your e-mail confirmation). Enter this number and your credit card at a Quik-Trak Ticket Machine to instantly access your ticket information. Most stations have Quik-Trak Ticket Machines available—check availability at your departure station.
TICKETS BY MAIL
Amtrak can mail your ticket to your home or business for an additional fee, if purchased at least ten business days in advance (20 days in Canada).
THE AMTRAK REFUND POLICY
For all reserved Coach class and Acela Express Business class reservations, you must cancel your reservation at least 24 hours prior to the train's scheduled departure in order to be eligible for a full refund. If the reservation is canceled within 24 hours of the scheduled departure, a refund fee will apply (Value fare tickets only; Saver fare tickets are not refundable). If the reservation is not canceled prior to the scheduled departure ("no show"), the entire amount paid for the reservation will be forfeited (Value and Saver fare tickets); the ticket value will not be stored in an eVoucher and cannot be applied toward future travel. Flexible fare tickets will remain fully refundable.
Once the value of a refund has been calculated, based on the rules applicable to the fare paid, there are two options to receive the refund value:
- eVoucher: Passengers may receive the calculated refund value in the form of an eVoucher or in some limited situations, in the form of a non-refundable paper Exchange Voucher. Both are valid for future travel purchases. Visit eVouchers for more details about this ticket exchange option.
- Refund: Subject to the conditions below, if a passenger does not take the entire trip paid for, the remaining ticket value is calculated by subtracting the fare for any travel already taken from the total amount paid. The fare for travel already taken is the fare the passenger would have paid for that travel had that been the only travel purchased. The word "ticket" applies to both an eTicket and a paper value ticket. The refund policy applies as soon as payment is made, whether or not any ticket is printed, and applies to entire fare paid including both rail fare and any accommodation charge. The Amtrak refund policy is subject to change at any time. Call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245) to speak with an Amtrak Reservations Agent for details.
Refunds will be calculated for the total fare paid for each trip, as described below.
Passenger travel in a reservation is grouped into trips. A "trip" is a grouping of continuous travel. Example: A booking Wilmington - Washington - Chicago - Seattle with same-day connections is one trip. Refund rules are applied based on the scheduled departure for the first travel in a trip. When more than one type of travel is in a trip, the refund policy is applied to the entire trip based on the primary travel type in the trip which is determined in the following order:
- Sleeping Accommodations: If canceled 15 or more days before the scheduled departure from the origin, sleeping accommodation charges and associated rail fares are refundable less a 10% refund fee. If canceled 14 days or fewer before the scheduled departure from the origin, but before the scheduled departure, sleeping accommodation charges and associated rail fares are not refundable but the value may be applied to an eVoucher that can be used toward future travel within one year. If not canceled before the scheduled departure from the origin ("no show"), the entire amount is forfeited and cannot be applied toward future travel.
- Acela Express First Class and non-Acela Business Class: If canceled before the scheduled departure from the origin, the ticket is fully refundable without a refund fee. If not canceled before the scheduled departure from the origin ("no show"), the ticket is refundable less a 10% refund fee.
- Reserved Coach and Acela Express Business Class: Refund rules vary based on the type of fare purchased. Tickets sold as a Value fare are fully refundable up to 24 hours prior to the scheduled departure from the origin and will incur a 10% fee if refunded less than 24 hours. If not canceled before the scheduled departure from the origin ("no show"), the entire amount is forfeited and cannot be applied toward future travel. Tickets sold as a Flexible fare are fully refundable and will not be charged a fee.
- Unreserved Coach: A 10% refund fee applies at all times.
- Advance Purchase Fare: Refundability is based on the rules applying to the particular fare. Some advance booking/purchase fares (such as Saver fares) are not refundable. If canceled before the scheduled departure from the origin, the ticket value may be saved as credit in a non-refundable eVoucher that can be used for future Amtrak travel. If not canceled before the scheduled departure from the origin ("no show"), the entire amount is forfeited and cannot be applied toward future travel.
Example: If a trip includes both reserved coach and sleeper. The sleeper refund policy applies to the entire trip.
Unlimited monthly tickets are refundable if returned for refund before month begins. If returned on days 1 - 10 of the valid month, 50% of the value is refundable. If returned on day 11 or later, no refund or exchange credit. Multi-ride tickets good for a fixed number of rides are refundable if the ticket is wholly unused. If one or more rides have been taken, no refund or exchange credit. Refund fee applies to all multiride refunds. Refunds may be restricted if the multiride ticket was paid with a tax-free transit subsidy.
MONTHLY TICKET REFUND POLICY
Monthly ticket refunds are calculated based on the date of the refund request.
|Refund Request Date||Amount of Refund||Exchange Value|
|Before valid month||Full refund, less 10% refund fee||100%|
|Day 1 through day 10 of valid month||50% refund, less 10% refund fee||50%|
|On or after day 11 of valid month||Non-refundable||None|
TEN-RIDE AND SIX-RIDE TICKET REFUND POLICY
|Number of Rides (punches) Taken||Amount of Refund||Exchange Value|
|None||Full refund, less 10% refund fee||100%|
|One or more||Non-refundable||None|
MULTI-RIDE TICKETS SOLD FOR OTHER CARRIERS
The refund policies for multi-ride tickets sold by Amtrak for other carriers (such as MARC and Shore Line East) are determined by the carrier.
VEHICLES (AUTOMOBILE, VAN, MOTORCYCLE, BICYCLE) AND CARRY-ON FEES (GOLF BAGS, ETC.)
The refund policy is that of the passenger ticket with which the vehicle or carry-on fee ticket is associated. Example: Sleeper and automobile on Auto Train. The sleeper refund policy also applies to the automobile ticket.
BOARDING TRAIN LATE OR LEAVING TRAIN EARLY, OR DOWNGRADING ON THE TRAIN
No refund or exchange credit is given if a passenger boards a train at a station beyond, or detrains at a station before, the station from or to which he or she was reserved, or if the passenger downgrades accommodations on the train. To receive a fare adjustment the passenger must change the reservation before the train departs the original boarding station of that train. This restriction will not apply if there is a service disruption.
Where applicable, refund fee is 10% of the total amount refunded, with a minimum amount of $5.00 and a maximum amount of $100.00 per refund transaction. Unless stated otherwise, if a ticket is refundable, the passenger may avoid any refund fee by accepting the full refund value of the ticket as an eVoucher or other exchange credit, good toward future travel within one year.
REFUND RESTRICTIONS AND LATE TRAINS
The above restrictions and fees will not apply to refunds requested by passengers who chose not to travel due to a long distance train being two or more hours late or a corridor train being one or more hours late at the departure station.
An Amtrak ticket becomes non-refundable, not valid for carriage and has no exchange value, after one year from the date payment was made for that ticket (or other period if so endorsed on the ticket). An eVoucher or other exchange credit is valid for one year from date of issue, and may be renewed provided this is done before its expiration date.
ETICKET AND PREPAID TICKETS
eTickets and tickets purchased through other prepaid programs are considered "paid for" and subject to the refund policies of any component rail fare, passenger type discount, and/or promotional discount, even if paper value tickets have not yet been printed.
Passengers who downgrade accommodations or reduce the number in their party on board trains must obtain a Refund Authorization Form from the conductor; actual refundability, if any, will be determined by the rules that apply to the fare paid.
MUST RETURN ORIGINAL TICKETS
Cancellation or change of reservations does not generate a refund (except for eTicket reservations); the actual original unused or partially used ticket (not a photocopy) must be submitted.
WHERE TO OBTAIN REFUNDS
Refunds of eTickets may be processed at ticket offices, by calling 800-USA-RAIL or through the Amtrak Refunds department. If paper value tickets were printed, they must be returned for any refund. Stations do not keep large amounts of cash on hand and refunds of eTickets or paper value tickets paid by cash may have to be sent to Amtrak Refunds, which will send a refund check. Paper value tickets purchased from a travel agency must be returned to that agency, except when there is a service disruption.
Most tickets purchased online can be canceled and refunded online.
Amtrak can process your unused ticket refund by mail. Send original tickets via certified mail with return receipt requested to:
30th St. Station
2955 Market Street,
Philadelphia, PA 19104-2898
Please present a valid membership card for AAA, ISIC, NARP, and Veteran’s Advantage.
|Adult||13+||Full standard fare|
(10% on VIA Rail Canada)
|Child||2 - 12||50%|
|Military Child||2 - 12||10% in addition to child 50% discount|
|Student||13 - 25||15%|
with a Disability
with a Disability
|2 - 12||15% in addition to child 50% discount|
|AAA Adult||13+||10% off rail fare only|
|AAA Child||2 - 12||10% in addition to child 50% discount|
(International Student Identity Card)
Discounts are not combinable unless otherwise indicated. Other restrictions may apply.