Questions about baggage? Contact Amtrak at 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245).
- Two pieces per passenger only, each of which may not exceed 28" x 22" x 14" or 50 lbs. (Purses, briefcases, laptop cases, diaper bags, strollers, car seats, cosmetic cases, or equipment required for a medical condition do not count toward this limit).
- All baggage, both carry-on and checked, must be visibly tagged with your name and address. Amtrak staff has baggage tags available if you need them. Carry-on purses, briefcases, laptop cases, diaper bags, strollers, car seats, cosmetic cases, or equipment required for a medical condition do not need name/address tags.
- Once on board the train, carry-on bags may be stowed in overhead bins or baggage rack. Safety rules require that all bags be stowed in designated baggage areas and kept out of aisles, walkways, and vestibules. Please bring only luggage you can lift overhead without assistance. Baggage is not allowed in the Bistro and Lounge cars.
- Three pieces per passenger only, each of which may not exceed 50 lbs. Up to three additional pieces may be checked and an additional service charge will be applied.
- All baggage, both carry-on and checked, must be visibly tagged with your name and address. Amtrak staff has baggage tags available if you need them.
- Amtrak Cascades checked baggage service is currently available at: Albany, Bellingham, Centralia, Edmonds, Eugene, Everett,, Portland, Salem, Seattle, Tacoma, Vancouver, B.C., and Vancouver, WA. If you are checking baggage, please arrive at the station 30 minutes early.
- Checked baggage service is available during hours of operation. Visit the Stations page for your specific station hours. Free "Red Cap" service is available to help with your bags in Seattle and Portland.
Make a reservation for both you and your bike aboard Amtrak Cascades. There are two options for bringing your bike – you can use one of our onboard bike racks, or box your bicycle and check it as baggage.
Six bike racks are available on each Amtrak Cascades train. Bike racks are very popular and reservations are required. The cost for reserving space in the bike rack is $5. Bicycle racks will not accommodate tandem, recumbent or other unusual bikes. Such bikes must be transported as checked baggage in a box.
Boxed bicycles do not require a reservation and can be checked as baggage. There is a $5 handling fee for checking a boxed bike. (This is subject to change without notice.) Not all stations have checked baggage service, and baggage service may not be available every day. For more information, call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245). Don't have a bicycle box? Bicycle boxes are available for purchase for $15 at staffed Amtrak stations with checked baggage service. Bicycles usually must be partially disassembled. For details regarding boxing your bicycle, on general information bringing bicycles onboard, please visit Amtrak.
Special items such as sports equipment, strollers, etc. are allowed on the train. Amtrak accepts a number of special items such as baby strollers, golf bags, musical instruments, snowboards, and skis (one board or set per bag/container).
Special items (such as skis, golf bags and surfboards) must be properly packed and visibly tagged.
In most cases there is a handling charge of $5 per special item. Contact 1-800-USA-RAIL for more information.
items not allowed on the trains
The following kinds of items are prohibited as both checked and carry-on baggage:
- Any type of gun, firearm, ammunition, explosives, or weapon.
- Incendiaries, including flammable gases, liquids, and fuels.
- Large, sharp objects such as axes, ice picks, and swords.
- Corrosive or dangerous chemicals or materials, such as liquid bleach, tear gas, mace, radioactive and harmful bacteriological materials.
- Batteries with acid that can spill or leak (except those batteries used in motorized wheelchairs or similar devices for mobility-impaired passengers).
- Club-like items, such as billy clubs and nightsticks.
- Fragile and/or valuable items, including but not limited to electronic equipment. (Laptop computers and handheld devices may be carried onboard; however, Amtrak accepts no liability for damage.)
- Animals (except service animals).
- Oversized or overweight items.
- Consumption of personal alcohol is strictly forbidden.
Please note: This is not an exhaustive list. Any item similar to those listed, even if not specifically mentioned here, is prohibited from being carried onboard or checked as baggage.