You are here
More Train for the Buck
Lower fares are more available on train schedules that are less popular. On most Amtrak Cascades routes, Friday evenings, Sunday evenings, and holidays are most popular. If you can adjust your travel schedule, explore midweek travel or morning trains for lower fares. Visit Special Offers for travel deals. Explore everyday discounts available to seniors, children, AAA members, military personnel, and more.
You will get lower fares by purchasing tickets well in advance of your trip. Fares gradually rise as trains fill and as the departure date nears, so make reservations as soon as you're confident of your travel schedule.
An Amtrak Guest Rewards membership gets you more for your travel. Members earn a minimum of 100 points whenever they ride on Amtrak Cascades, and other Amtrak trains, no matter the price. Points can be redeemed for free Amtrak travel, hotel and car rental awards, and retail certificates from a wide variety of participating companies. Visit Amtrak Guest Rewards to enroll.
Amtrak Cascades and Sound Transit have teamed up to offer more rail travel options between Everett, Edmonds and Seattle. The Rail Plus program allows use of your Amtrak Cascades ticket, FlexPass, or full fare ($4.50) PugetPass and UPass on Amtrak Cascades trains. Visit Sound Transit for more information and schedules.
Multi-ride tickets reward frequent travelers and encourage travel on trains where seats are usually available in Oregon between Eugene and Portland; or in Washington from Seattle, Edmonds or Everett to Bellingham and/or Mt. Vernon. Types of multi-ride tickets include "Ten Trips in 45 days" or an "Unlimited Monthly Pass." Call 1-800-USA-RAIL or ask Amtrak ticket agents at staffed stations for detailed information.
- Amtrak Cascades offers a 10% rail fare discount to adult passengers with a disability. Child passengers with a disability are eligible for the everyday 50% child discount plus an additional 10% off the discounted child's fare.
- Amtrak Cascades also offers a 10% discount for persons traveling with a passenger with a disability as a companion. Those designated as companions must be 18 years of age or older.
- Amtrak Cascades travelers 65 years of age and over are eligible to receive a 10% discount on the lowest available rail fare on Amtrak Cascades. On cross-border services operated jointly by Amtrak and VIA Rail Canada, a 10% Senior discount is applicable to travelers aged 60 and over.
- The senior discount does not apply to Business Class. These upgrades are permitted upon payment of the full accommodation charges.
- The senior discount is not valid for travel on certain Amtrak Thruway connecting services.
- One child age 2-12 is eligible to receive a 50% discount on the lowest available adult rail fare on most Amtrak trains with each fare-paying adult (age 18+). One child under the age of two may ride free with each adult ticket purchased. Infants are not entitled to a seat. Additional children under age two are permitted with each adult traveler under the 50% discount policy. Other restrictions may apply. If any additional child per adult will be traveling, reservations must be made for that child as an "Adult" and the full adult fare will be charged.